1. Have an outfit with an accessory: This can really help break the ice when it comes to talking to new people. Whether it’s a fairy wand, stethoscope or some devil’s horns, use it to your advantage!
2. Choose a costume that represents your personality: When it comes to picking your outfit, make it more personal by choosing one that plays up to your personality or personal interests. A comic fan? Embrace your inner superhero. A lover of ER? That doctor’s or nurses outfit has your name all over it! And whatever happens, always dress up if the invite says so – no excuses!
3. Don’t go too OTT: Go easy on the gory make-up. While a vampire or zombie costumes are fun ideas, perhaps leave the severed and bloody head at home! Think sexy and interesting, rather than grotesque.
4. Go co-ordinated: So you’ve got your eye on someone or are dating someone new? Head out together in matching outfits and watch the sparks fly! Whether you go for an impersonation of Kate and Wills in their regal refinery or Tarzan and Jane in their jungle get-ups, it’ll do the trick.
5. Go easy on the Witch’s Brew: Just like at any other party, take it easy on the alcohol and you’ll be more in command when it comes to making conversation and flirting with new people. Also make sure you know how you’re going to get home – either nominate a designated driver or have a few cab numbers to hand.
6. Compliment costumes: If you are looking to chat to someone and don’t know what to say? Just compliment them on their costume. Everyone (who has made an effort in the dressing-up department) will love to be told they look awesome. Sorted! And if you meet someone at a big party with hundreds of people there, swap numbers quickly, before you lose them in the sea of costumes.
Are you heading to a Halloween party? Do you have any other advice for other singletons out there? Tell us @LovestruckTweet