FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Dating is hard. Online dating can seem even harder - but once you've mastered it, it'll be a breeze (and good clean fun, too). That's why we've put together this list of Frequently Asked Questions. If you still have a question after reading it, simply contact us (if it's "When will I meet the person of my dreams?" then you might be looking in the wrong place. Try a clairvoyant.)
1. Lovestruck New York Login 2. Membership 3. Search 4. Messages 5. Privacy Settings 6. Likes 7. Profile 8. Photos 9. Availability Controls 10. Personal Details 11. Membership Cancellation 12. Miscellaneous
1. Lovestruck Login 1.1 I forgot my password. Can you tell me what it is? Just go to the password reset page and enter the email address that you registered with. We'll send you instructions to reset your password straight away. Still need help? Contact us.
Lovestruck.com is a free dating site, ladies and gents. Your Premium Membership lets you do all that is absolutely necessary to date - and more - for FREE. You can:
- Add your profile and up to four photos
- Set a privacy level to suit you
- Browse the whole Member base
- Check out Members' photo albums
- Wink at Members that you fancy
- Receive and respond to messages
- Send unlimited messages to other Members
- See who's got you as a favourite
- Receive email alerts on matches, winks and messages
- Use the 'FreeForLunch' and 'FreeTonight' tools - coming soon!
- Play Connect Phwoar with other Members - coming soon!
3. Search 3.1 What is 'Search' all about? The Search facility allows you to specify the types of LovestruckNewYorker profiles you want to see. You can conduct an unlimited number of searches by selecting the preferences and characteristics you are looking for.
3.2 What is the Little Black Book? The Little Black Book (found on the home page) produces most results. This is because the search criteria are very broad, meaning more LovestruckNewYorkers are likely to come up. Here, the standard search criteria are age and proximity to a landmark. So if you want to meet 25-year-olds who work near The Village, or 30-somethings near the Financial District , this is how you'll find 'em.
3.3 What is Advanced Search? Advanced Search allows you to narrow down your search to specific physical characteristics, background or interests. Please note that pina coladas, walks in the rain, making love at midnight on the dunes on the cape, etc, are probably a little too specific. And if you're after a leather-clad whipping boy/girl, well, you're on the wrong website. Try typing 'fetish dating' into Google and see what comes up.
3.4 What is Keyword Search? This is a jolly clever, state-of-the art, smarty-pants tool that allows you to find Members that have a word in their profile that really blows your hair back. Ibiza, balloons, dog-walking - whatever the word, however odd, chances are someone will come up. (Please note that we're not making any promises.) It's also a great way to search for a Member, if you know their username.
3.5 How can I remove profiles from my searches? Keep seeing the same face every time you search, and have no intention of ever contacting them? Just click on 'Hide this profile' on their profile page. They'll never know you've done it and you'll get a better search. Result.
4. Messages 4.1 How are the messages that I send to other LovestruckNewYorkers anonymous? We respect your privacy and keep your actual email address confidential. You'll never see your email address displayed on Lovestruck.com and all written communication from other Members will be directed to your LovestruckNewYork Mailbox and NOT to your private email address. We aim to keep LovestruckNewYork a stalker-free site, ladies and gents.
4.2 Can I view messages that I've sent to others? Yes. Just go to 'Read my messages' on your personalised homepage. Try not to agonise over what you've sent, though. You probably were just as adorable/funny/clever as you thought you were, and if you weren't, well, there's not much you can do about it.
4.3 Can I save mail that I send to others? All mail that you send to others is automatically saved for you for up to one month. You can view it by going to 'Messages sent' on your personalised homepage.
4.4 Why am I not getting very many/any responses? Well, for a start, it's not you, darling. It's them. However, you may want to take another look at your profile. Have you included a photo with your profile? Research shows that profiles with photos are 10 million times more likely to receive a response. Now, is it a nice photo? Men in black tie and women with lipstick on do awfully well, we've noticed. Smiling is always good. Try to avoid the glass-eyed drunken grin photo if at all possible (good rule of thumb: if you can't remember the photo being taken, don't use it).
If you're pretty happy with your photo, try playing around with your Narrative section. Don't confess too much, or share your entire relationship history (leave something for the first and hopefully, second dates, eh?). Try doing something original (but not too cwazy) or funny (but don't tell jokes. Trust us, that doesn't work). Ask your funniest friend to write about you for the site - there's nothing quite like a recommendation to make someone look ever so desirable. Or tell a story that you think is funny. But something. Above all else, as they say, don't just lie there. Other LovestruckNewYorkers will appreciate it if you've made an effort. Think of it as the bait that will reel in the many, many lovely trout that you deserve. (Ok, that doesn't quite work. Whatever.)
4.5 How do I block someone I don't want to talk to/receive messages from? Oh, dear. We do want everyone to be friends and play nicely, but we also know from experience that sometimes you just don't want to see or hear from someone again. Perhaps they chewed with their mouth open or really, really liked Billy Idol (we love Billy Idol, but he's not everyone's cup of hot cha). Perhaps you just didn't fancy them. And, bless them, they probably really like you and it's far easier to just ignore them than to give them the cold hard truth (this is the true beauty of online dating). So! To block a LovestruckNewYorker click 'Block this Member' on their profile. 'Block' stops a Lovestrucker from sending you messages.
5. Privacy Settings 5.1 What are Privacy Settings for? At Lovestruck Towers we believe that your love life is just that. Yours. Privacy Settings let you decide exactly who sees what, by controlling the visibility of your profile.
Just set any – or all – of your photo(s), profile and online status to 'Only my favourites'. Then, to allow someone to see your profile, add that Member to your Favourites and voila – they can see you in all your glory. (now stop that.) (Down. Down boy.) (I said DOWN. Do you want me to get the rolled up newspaper?)
To enjoy Internet dating with a side order of privacy just go to 'Visibility Settings' from the main menu.
5.2 Can someone request to see my photo(s) and/or profile? Yes - all they have to do is click on your hidden profile and/or photo on your profile page. You'll then get an email with a link to their profile. Any you like - or like the look of - to your Favourites. Those that don't make the grade still can't see your profile (probably making you even more desirable in the process).
5.3 How do I make someone my Favourite? You can add LovestruckNewYorkers to your Favourites List by clicking 'Add to Favourites' on their profile page.
5.4. Can I make someone a Favourite anyway? Yep - The Favourites function also works along the lines of a bookmark. A dating bookmark. So you can keep an eye on that gorgeous someone whilst you work up the nerve to wink or email them and commit to - gasp - a sandwich-and-smoothie, or pint-and-pork-scratchings, next Tuesday. Also, once in your Favourites List you won't have to search for them among others to find out if they are online or not. They'll be like an instant flirtation group.
6. Likes 6.1 What are Likes for? It's not rocket science, dear. It's called FLIRTING. Look it up. Someone's saying they like the look of you, and before they succumb to the - gasp - huge commitment of an email, they want to know if you like the look of them, or if they remind you of an ex that you would move to the other side of New York to avoid.
Either way, like back if you fancy them, don't if you don't - it's not a marriage offer, so don't agonise over it.
6.2 How do I like someone? Easy-peasy. There's a like button on the Lovestrucker's full profile. Click it and voila, instant likeage.
6.3 What do I do if someone likes me? Scream, tell all your friends, then ignore them forever and secretly write their name in your homework folder a thousand million times. Wait! Sorry that's our other dating app for thirteen-year-olds.
Duh. If someone likes you, and you fancy them, like them back. If they like you, and you definitely DON'T fancy them, don't like back. (No one likes a tease.)
7. Profile 7.1 How do I create a profile? Creating and posting a profile is free and takes only a few minutes. Think of it as a quick sketch of who you are and your how you live your life. If you're passionate about dorfball, German techno, Kir Royales, Playstation, sleeping, making sushi, Wikipedia, the Post, ultimate frisbee, wild strawberries, or gosh, whatever, then this is the place to put it. If you're actually quite normal, with no oddball passions and you just like to have a laugh now and again, then again, this is the place to put it. Trust us, there's someone out there for you - just be yourself. Once your profile is complete, we'll review it and post it on the site within 36 hours. So click here to join now.
7.2 How do I update my profile? Don't you hate it when you think of something really funny you should have said just as you're going to bed that night? That's the beauty of the Profile Update! You can go back the next day, update your profile, and voila - it's like it was always there. To update your profile, go to 'Edit my profile' on your homepage and click 'Save and continue' on the section of the profile you want to update. Then make it funnier than ever.
7.3 What are Lovestruck New York's profile guidelines? We welcome all 18+ single professionals looking for flirtations or more with like-minded people. After all, we all live, work, sleep and play in the same city - it shouldn't be hard to find a special someone to cuddle under the duvet when it's raining outside (as a first date, however, we do recommend the sandwich option. Duvet-sharing can be seen as quite forward).
We do want everyone on our site to feel comfortable - which means no freaky, weird or rude stuff, ok, people? Like the best dating sites, we review every profile manually to make sure that they're not going to make anyone else feel uncomfortable. We reserve the right to revise our guidelines from time to time (frankly, you never know what you're going to have to make a rule about until someone does it and someone else complains, know what we mean?), so please check back for updates. Please note that we may amend/reject profiles if the narrative text contains any of the following:
- Any direct contact information (ie email addresses, URLs, ICQ/instant messenger IDs, phone numbers, full names, addresses)
- Any location or descriptive information that threatens a Member's anonymity
- Abusive language of any kind (e.g. racism, sexism etc.)
- Discussion of description of illegal acts or behaviour (i.e. drug use, violence, criminal acts)
- Business or political advertisements or solicitations
- Material that exploits or solicits personal information from individuals under the age of 18
- Foreign languages
- Solicitation of multiple or additional partners
- Unauthorised use of copyrighted or trademarked material
- Overt sexual innuendo or discussion
NB - LovestruckNewYork does not accept content from:
- Incarcerated individuals
- Individuals under the age of 18
Sorry. Jailbirds and jailbait are just not our thing.
8. Photos 8.1 What are the guidelines for posting a photo? Our photo guidelines are as follows:
- Obviously, you've got to be in each of the photos. Duh. And not so pixellated that you look like the lead character of a Commodore 64 computer game
- No scuba diving, motorcycle shots or anything that covers up your face (inc Jackie O sunglasses)
- Chose a solo shot for your main photo, and save the second, third, fourth and fifth positions for holiday or party photos
- No photos of cartoon characters or celebrities, which are copyrighted
- Please get the photo the right way up - sideways ain't gonna do you any favours, believe us
- No nude, obscene, sexual or otherwise offensive photos
- Photo files cannot be larger than 4MB
- Your photo should be saved in JPG/JPEG format
8.2 How do I post a photo? We've made this really easy - to upload a photo directly from your computer, simply go to 'My photos' in the profile setup pages and follow the instructions. Once approved, we might have to resize/crop your photos. If the file's bigger than 4MB, try to crop your photo before uploading it. It may take up to 36 hours for your photo to appear on your profile as we need to review it, but we'll try to be as quick as possible. Once approved, we'll get it up on the site asap. If we reject your photo, you'll receive an email informing you why, and ask you to upload another photo.
8.3 I already have a photo, but how do I add other photos? Can't choose between that shot of you on the boat in Hawaii and that one from the wedding in The Hamptons last year? Then don't - put them both up! Simply go to 'My photos' in 'Edit my profile' and follow the instructions.
8.4 How long will it take for my photo to appear? We aim to approve photos within 36 hours (although it's normally just a few hours).
8.5 If I upload more than one photo, which one will be displayed in my profile and search results? You can select where you want your photo to appear, be it in your profile or photo album. The photo that you select to appear 'In Profile' will be displayed in your profile as well as all search result pages that other Members will be viewing. Make sure the photo you select to put 'In Profile' is your best one.
8.6 I'm following the guidelines and still having trouble posting photos. Any suggestions? If you've followed our instructions and are still having trouble posting your photo, please email the photo(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org
9. Availability Controls 9.1 What are Availability Controls for? Time is money, fellow Lovestrucker. Time is money. And time is, um, flying. When you're having fun. And stuff. 'FreeForLunch' and 'FreeTonight' (yes, we went out on a creative limb with the names) are two time-saving developments that let other Members know that you're up for a date that very lunchtime, or after work. Think of them as the lazy (wo)man's approach to internet dating.
9.2 How do Availability Controls work? Easy-peasy. Just click one of the new buttons on your personalised homepage (they're labelled 'I'm free for lunch' and 'I'm free tonight') to say that you're available that day/night. Or you can use the dropdown, which is visible on every page when you're logged in. Your mini-profile will then automatically appear in the respective 'FreeForLunch' and 'FreeTonight' pages.
9.3 If I get a date, how do I cancel it? Even easier. Either click on 'turn off' or change your status dropdown to 'I'm not free today'. The change is immediate, and you'll be out of the spotlight instantly.
9.4 What should I do if I like someone who's free that day? If there's someone else in there who sinks your battleship, send them a message suggesting a time and place to meet and boom, you could have a date. No step-by-step winking and endless banter is needed. It's just fast and furious dating.
9.5 Will I stay in there forever if I just leave it as on? Nope, as we want to keep things fresh. Only those that use the controls that very day are shown. 'FreeForLunch' resets at 3pm daily, and 'FreeTonight' resets at Midnight. When that happens, the decks are cleared and you have to say that you're available again.
9.6 What happens to 'FreeForLunch' at 3pm, then? It resets at 3pm, so anyone who clicks that they're free for lunch after 3pm will be 'Free for lunch tomorrow'. Of course, that will change back to 'Free for lunch' when it reaches midnight.
10. Personal details 10.1 How do I change my password? My, you are secretive. To change your password Click here.
10.2 My personal email address has changed. How do I update it? It takes just a few seconds to change your email address. Click here.
10.3 I've changed jobs, so how do I update the district that I work in? Firstly, congratulations. Secondly, no problem. 'My Account' on your personalised homepage is where it's at. This change takes a few seconds by clicking here.
10.4 How do I change my date of birth? I'm 23, not 32! Of course you are. Just click here to change it in 'My Account'.
10.5 I've mistakenly put that i'm a girl looking for a girl/boy looking for a boy (delete where appropriate). How do I change my sexual preference? Oops. Just go to 'My Account' on your personalised homepage by clicking here.
10.6 How do i change the search ages that automatically appear on my Little Black Book? Just go to 'My Account' on your personalised homepage by clicking here.
10.7 How do i change my username? Regret calling yourself 'Kittenpants' now, eh? Just contact us with a new name that you'd like (six characters minimum, please), and we'll check if it's taken and then do the rest.
11. Membership Cancellation 11.1 How do I cancel my LovestruckNewYork Membership? To deactivate your account, simply go to 'My Account' on your personalised homepage by clicking here.
12. Miscellaneous 12.1 Why does the lovestruck.com site seem to be slow? If you are having trouble with speed of our site, it's usually one of the three things: 1. lovestruck.com may be experiencing technical difficulties so please try again later. 2. The connection at your end may be the cause. Double-check your modem settings or connection speed to make sure you're connected at the highest possible internet connection rate. 3. The internet itself may be experiencing a traffic jam. Try again at another time when the information highway may not be so heavily travelled. If you've done all this and continue to have difficulties, please contact us and we'll be happy to help you.
12.2 Lovestruck.com Customer Service Our Customer Service is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We endeavour to respond to all email enquiries within 36 hours.
12.3 Do you tell other people my email address? Never. We don't reveal any personal contact information to any other Members or to any third parties (we hate spam as much as you do, you know). Only you can choose whom you'd like to share personal contact information with. You do this through your private communications with other Members.
If you have any further questions that have not been answered by any of the above, please don't hesitate to contact us. We love to chat.Thank you very much, we're here all week!